Senior Technical Architect (OpenAthens)
Salary: From £56,000 per annum negotiable depending on experience
Location: Hybrid – flexibility to work from home or at any of our main hubs (London, Bristol, Manchester and Harwell)
Jisc is the UK higher, further education and skills sectors’ not-for-profit organisation for digital services and solutions. We believe education and research improves lives, and technology improves education and research.
Our vision is for the UK to be a world leader in technology for education and research and our mission is to power and empower our members with the technology and data they need to succeed. We know that digital technology has the ability to transform the student experience. We have the experience, expertise and know-how to drive that transformation.
About the role:
Jisc Trust and Identity services teams provide our members and customers with robust, secure and easy to use verification and remote access services.
The Senior Technical Architect provides the overall technical direction and authority for development of the OpenAthens products and services. The role involves working with Product, Commercial and Technical teams to ensure projects deliver solutions that meet product and technical goals.
Responsibilities will include:
• Own and be accountable for overall technical architecture and strategy for OpenAthens
• Work with Commercial and Product teams and then lead on aligning the architecture and strategy with business and product goals
• Work with Sales, Marketing, Development and Product Teams to help define and agree requirements for development projects
• Oversee the work of Development Teams to support them in delivering high level designs that meet agreed product requirements
• Mentor and train Development Team members to advance their technical skills and industry knowledge
Key Skills and Experience:
• Experience of delivering application architecture for complex IT systems, services, and infrastructure
• Demonstratable experience providing technical leadership across multiple development teams
• Proven experience in a broad range of architecture design patterns including micro services
• Experience delivering projects in an agile working environment
Please refer to the job description for full details.
Don’t meet every single requirement?
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box but we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. So, if you can do most of what we’re looking for, go ahead and apply. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles!
Why work at Jisc:
At Jisc, everyone plays a key role and gets the chance to feel part of it, that to us is the definition of a meaningful career. We want to create a culture of lifelong learning. You can look forward to a rewarding job with opportunities to develop and make a real difference to the education and research sectors.
We celebrate diversity, embrace our differences and know that this is critical for our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive and we are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. So, if you are great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
At Jisc we believe a balance between your personal and professional life is essential to your happiness and fulfilment. We work flexibly at Jisc and focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life.
We offer hybrid working and although the majority of our staff work from home, getting face to face is something we value and find time for when we can. If you prefer an office environment all our hubs are open and offer a great space to work.
Our benefits are great too. We offer:
• Flexible work pattern, which can adapt to suit your schedules and personal commitments
• 28 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) and an additional three closure days over Christmas
• A generous pension scheme with above average employer contributions
• A range of leave options, including parental leave, volunteer leave and even career breaks.
• A generous budget to attend conferences and in-person training
• Allocated allowance of up to £250 to equip your home office
• A company culture which supports and promotes personal learning and development, including access to thousands of courses on LinkedIn Learning
• Mental health first aid trained staff and supportive environment
• Financial well-being support
• Discounts on big-name high-street stores
• Cycle to work scheme
• Employee recognition awards and travel loans
Additional Flexible benefits include Holiday Buying, Healthcare Cashplan, Electric Car Lease Scheme and option to purchase SmartTech
Equality, diversity and inclusion
At Jisc, we strive to be best in practice and are working hard to achieve progressive change. ‘Always inclusive’ is one of our six guiding principles – a principle which actively encourages acceptance of differences within individuals.
We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, neurodivergence, trans status, veteran status or gender identity.
Please do let us know what reasonable adjustments you need made to the application or selection process so you can do your best. We will be happy to help you.
Just so you know, we review CVs as soon as we can and aim to provide an update on your application within 4 weeks of receiving it. However, you may hear from us a lot sooner, so please keep an eye out for our emails or calls!
We advertised this role on 16/11/2023
JR – STAOA0711
Hybrid – Any of our hubs – UK
From £56,000 per annum negotiable depending on experience