Salary: from £39,000 per annum depending on experience (when working full time max 35 hours per week)
Location: Hybrid – office based with flexibility to work from home or at any of our hubs – London, Bristol, Manchester and Harwell
Jisc is the UK higher, further education and skills sectors’ not-for-profit organisation for digital services and solutions. We operate shared digital infrastructure and services; negotiate sector-wide deals with IT vendors and commercial publishers; and provide trusted advice and practical assistance for universities, colleges and learning providers.
We believe in technology for good – in improving lives through education and research. Our people want to make a real change and are at the heart of our success. At Jisc, everyone plays a key role and gets the chance to feel part of it, that to us is the definition of a meaningful career.
We’re a place unlike any other, where the best of education fuses with the best of technology to create a unique model with unique opportunities and interesting problems to solve in a diverse and inclusive environment. It’s what keeps our work varied, original and surprising – and that’s why we love it.
The scrum master role may work with a broad range of teams, but all with the same purpose: to deliver working software. We believe in agile principles, and the scrum master plays a critical role in facilitating developers, testers, product owners, service managers, designers, and others in their pursuit of agile delivery.
About the role:
This is a fantastic opportunity to work in Jisc’s GroupCTO directorate, supporting various software development teams the facilitate the delivery of quality software. Some of your key tasks will be:
• Promoting agile ways of working, both with development teams and the wider business.
• Working with Product Owners, helping them to manage their vision and requirements in an agile manner.
• Working with development teams, facilitating the delivery of quality software using simple processes.
• Driving continuous improvement.
• Supporting the full development lifecycle; Jisc has many products at all stages.
• Unblocking development teams and resolving issues.
Depending on your experience we will support your development and progress within the team and will consider anyone from a junior to senior level experience.
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box but we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. So, if you can do most of what we’re looking for, go ahead and apply. You could be exactly what we need!
We are looking for: (depending on experience)
• In-depth knowledge of scrum values, processes and practices and delivering software in a BAU scenario. At the senior level this includes coaching and mentoring scrum masters, developers and other key stakeholders.
• Ability to support Product Owners with the creation and management of an agile backlog.
• Experience of running agile ceremonies, such as sprint planning, backlog refinement and retrospectives. At the senior level this includes facilitating workshops at the programme level or above.
• Demonstrable experience in resolving issues and risks, and dealing with unforeseen changes for agile development teams. At the senior level this includes horizon scanning for potential issues and being proactive, not just reactive to risks, blockers and change.
• Working on a product from inception to a production release to customers.
At the senior level this includes coordinating several delivery pipelines into coherent and valuable product increments.
Why work at Jisc:
We want to make sure our people have the flexibility they need to balance their personal lives and do well at work. So, we focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working.
We offer hybrid working although a majority of our staff work from home. To keep close to our team and other colleagues, we chat and collaborate effectively online via Teams and other channels. All our offices are open if you prefer that kind of environment, and occasionally we will have an ‘office day’ just to catch up and get some face time with each other. A few of our roles require you to be in the office more regularly, but this will be discussed at interview.
You can look forward to a rewarding job with opportunities to develop and make a real difference to the education and research sectors. We’re always learning and developing, and all our people have access to a huge variety of learning resources to help them achieve this.
Our benefits are great too. We offer:
• Flexible work pattern, that can adapt to suit your schedules and family commitments.
• 31 days holidays per annum plus bank holidays including 3 days paid leave between Christmas and New Year plus a range of leave options, including parental leave, volunteer days and even career breaks
• A generous pension scheme with above average employer contributions.
• Access to LinkedIn learning, thousands of courses and free books for learning skills.
• A generous budget to attend conferences and in-person training, our company culture supports and promotes personal learning and development.
• Allocated allowance to equip your home office
• Mental health first aid trained staff and supportive environment that embraces equality, diversity and inclusion
• Financial well-being support, public sector discounts on big-name high-street stores plus a Cycle to work scheme.
• Employee recognition awards and travel loans.
Other stuff you need to know:
At Jisc we celebrate diversity and know that it is critical for our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive. So, if you are great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
If you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best, let us know. We will be happy to help.
Just so you know, we review CVs as we receive them, and interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match (usually within a week). We don’t use closing dates. So, please apply as soon as possible to avoid missing out on this role. We advertised this role on 23/12/2022
Hybrid – Any of our hubs – UK
from £39,000 per annum depending on experience (when working full time max 35 hours per week)